Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 4 Recap!

Today was the perfect running day. Cool, overcast, low winds...you cannot ask for more.

I started the day at about 3:00 a.m.. I get up at that time to eat my first 1-2,000 calories for the day. This morning I had two bowls of cereal, 4 spoons of almond butter, 2 nutrition bars, a can of Dr. Pepper and a bottle of Ginger Soother. I then went back to bed for a few hours to let the food digest.

The run started well. About 8 miles in we came across two horses. Funny, now that I look at the video, I understand why they ran...it looks like when I jumped across the ditch to see them, I made a shoosh motion! I wanted to pet them...beautiful.




I struggled about mile 12. We took a long break and my left knee acted up when I started running again. It took about 30 minutes of run/walk/run/walk before it simmered down. I ended up running hard after that. As I type this, I am icing it down!

The highlight of the day was a gentlemen named Bill Wilson. Bill pulled his truck along side of me somewhere in the middle of Georgia and asked me how far I was going, what I was running for etc.

Bill then reached into his wallet and cleaned it out...$17 for FINF. This is the third time this has happened. All three times it gave me goosebumps. I hope as this continues to happen that I don't lose this amazing sense of awe that people would do this. It is truly amazing to me that my run has had an impact.

Here is a video of one of the stops.



My crew had a mishap today. I have purposely not wanted to know the maps or directions for each day. I get disoriented, confused etc as the day unfolds and the last thing I want to do is to have an opinion on the route. The crew tells me to go left, right or straight. Today, the crew directed me 37 miles SE versus west...we actually went out of our way by nearly 50 miles. It did not matter, I ran 50 miles and will start out where I should have ended today.

3 comments:

  1. ED,
    Take care of the knee! And stop scaring the animals along the way. :-) Thinking about ya every day out there running, man. Good vibes your way!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. ED! Sorry missed you all day today. Hope your knee is holding up. ICE and ICE! Foam ROLL and Pinky Ball it. I have a workshop all day tomorrow, maybe I can catch you guys on the phone tomorrow or Sunday to check in! Keep it up ED! Team ED.

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up dude !!! I've been watching you via Facebook. What you are doing is extraordinary ! You are going to see a lot of America that we don't get to see in a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete