Monday, September 5, 2011

Trail Zen



The last 5 days I have been semi unplugged in Stinson Beach, CA with my lovely wife, our two fuzzy kids, a case of IPA and four books, assorted newspapers and magazines. 

 I say "semi" unplugged as internet access was sparse and cell phone access non-existant. 

The cell phone companies probably don't pay much attention to Stinson.   Not a financially viable market 48 weeks out the year.  The  population when not flooded with people fleeing San Francisco for a holiday weekend is allegedly 468 people.

Semi unplugged on occasion is a great idea.

I am a pretty simple guy.  The lovely wife, furry kids, a cold IPA and ample reading material is always good enough for me.  However, the absolute icing on the cake/best part of the four days were numerous hours and miles up on Mount Tamalpais


I could make up a bunch of bullpoop about thinking heavy thoughts up in the silence of Muir Woods.  Saving the world, being a better whateverleaderhusbandathletecitizen, appreciating nature etc. etc.  I could probably get away with writing something like that.

The actual truth is that when running on a difficult trail like the DipSea Trail or the Steep Ravine Trail one's mind is totally focused on the task at hand.   My mind is a total void as soon as my foot hits the first steps of the trail.

No work.
No family stress.
No world economy.
No worries.

Only

Roots. 
Rocks. 
Mud. 
Low Hanging Trees.
Fog
Scrapes
Bugs




Unlike what I deal with as a city human, one small lapse of focus on a run through mountain woods can be costly.  Face planting on a trail at best is embarassing.   (If no one sees you face plant, it did not really happen!)  At worst, it could be a final face plant into a ravine 400 feet below.  On the DipSea and other trails I ran this weekend there were ample opportunities for the 400 foot face plant!

Being deep in a woods where you cannot even get a GPS fix let alone cell phone coverage serves to simultaneously liberate you from technology as well as remind you how awesome it is. 



If you have not run on a tough trail in a while or ever, give it a shot.  I 100% guarantee it will be the most focused and relaxed you can be at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment