Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weather, Miles and Diet

Saturday brought absolutely awesome weather to San Francisco.  Sun, mild temperatures and a slight wind made it as good as it gets for any outdoor activity.  I got out the door by 6:00 a.m. and headed out on the Bay Trail to Tiburon.  It was still dark and cool when I left...giving me a great start for the day.  It usually takes me 52-54 minutes to go from the door of my house to the other side of the Golden Gate bridge.  Saturday, I got over in about 49 minutes. 

I went through Sausalito and then to Tiburon and started back down the coast...putting in about 22 miles before I decided it was a good time to turn around.  At the normal marathon distance of 26.2 miles, I had 3:24 on my GPS...which was great considering I had 4-5 pounds of gear on me and had to stop for traffic a few times.  I suspect my marathon time in a race is somewhere around 3:13 to 3:17 at the moment.  I will test that theory on a half marathon in April and a full in July.

I slowed on the way home, but managed a door to door 45 miles in 6:29.  My projected 60 mile time looks to be at about 8.5 hours or so.  Perfect for the idea I had of getting up and on the road by 5 a.m. and relaxing by 2:00 p.m. on the actual journey. 

I am entering into week three of a total reboot of my diet.  My wife started me on the "Kind Diet" after she saw it on Oprah.  No meat, no sugar, no white flour, no caffiene, no dairy and no to low alcohol consumption.  It is not as hard as it sounds.  There are a lot of tasty things you can eat that are not on the list above.  No...really.  Honest!

I had huge trepidation walking into it.  I was worried about getting enough calories to drive my running and busy work life.  I have to say that I have never felt better.  I am seeing tons of energy and fast recoveries after big work outs.  Saturday's run was the first big test on the nutritional impact of not eating meat, carbs and the like.  We had originally planned on a three week test.  I think that we are going to stay with it.

I am jazzed about the progress I am making and continue to feel very confident that I am going to have success 11 months from now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment