Thursday, March 25, 2010

Eye Opener

On my 3:00 in the morning journey today it hit me like a ton of bricks that running 60 miles per day in 45 days is either crazy, inspired, obsessive or cool.   About 47 other adjectives alternating positive and maybe not so positive hit during my 11 miles in the cool night.

A few years ago I got a great opportunity to run with Dean Karnazes, a world reknowned ultra runner and author as he ran 50 Marathons in 50 Days (Book: 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!).  He ran through Seattle early in his run.  It was a cold day, he was not feeling well and the 30-40 of us ended up running an extra mile due to some GPS issues. 

I know Dean takes a lot of shots from other ultra runners.  However, he has done a lot in raising the profile of endurance sports.  I don't know what he is like out of the spotlight, but for this day, he was one of the most polite guys I have ever met...smilingly taking dozens of questions he had probably answered every stop along the way.  He was unfailingly positive about nearly everything thrown his way.  It made an impression.

This morning DK's run was on my mind. 

I am going to be attempting 2X what he accomplished during those 50 days.  Now, I am not even close to as good of an athlete as Dean K...nor will I ever make a living at what he does.  However, I did pause a minute to think that I, a 46 year old working guy am going to take a shot at doubling what he did over those 50 days.  Crazy?  Inspired?  Obsessive?  Cool? 

Not sure...but I AM going to do it.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment