Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Running on a treadmill is like kissing your own sister...

Last night, I was leafing through this month's issue of Mens Journal and I came upon a small box article on page 36 detailing the exploits of a gentleman named Mike Buss.



Now, before I render snarkiness on Mike, I want to say he is probably a good guy, ex-British Army, kind to old people and puppies etc. etc. etc.   However....

Mr. Buss recently finished a "record" 51 marathons in 51 days.   Reportedly he is aiming for 100 marathons in 100 days. You may say wow!  Dean Karnazes and other endurance runners have usually made the 50 marathons in 50 days mark the gold standard for marathon achievement.  51?  100?  This guy is forging new ground...  

My total impressedness ended when I read that he accomplished this "record" on a tread mill.  A tread mill?  Really? 

Don't get me wrong.   I hop on a treadmill at times myself.  In a strange city at 3:00 in the morning or if I am north during snow, it is a perfectly reasonable way to work out.   However, I know that the belt is moving and I don't kid myself that it is as good as running on a trail or sidewalk.  I know it is not the same for a couple of reasons.  First, I can run a 6 minute mile for nearly an hour...kidding my self that I can do a 2:45 marathon.  Secondly, I never feel as beaten up after even a hard treadmill workout.

There are a few things that treadmill work outs are good for...

1)  Maintaining a constant training speed.
2)  Running in a safe, well lit area.
3)  Avoid crappy weather.
4)  Watching pretty girls work out.  (As reported to me by other males.  I, of course, would not know this.)


So, I guess it is pretty cool that Mike ran 51 marathons...on a treadmill.  I still maintain it is like taking your sister to the prom!

No comments:

Post a Comment