Tuesday, November 2, 2010

More running nutrition...

I have been paying attention to my food consumption over the last few weeks with a laser focus.  Joanna C., a lady I hired to help me out with extreme endurance nutritional needs, had me on food logs for a week or so.  The general idea for the food logs was to see what we might need to modify in my diet to help me recover faster and fuel up for long distances. 

JC had a couple of interesting observations that I will share for those of you who are putting in decent levels of training for triathlon or running events.  You may not have the same challenges, but I think my issues are pretty universal.

First, I was not getting nearly enough water into me.  I sort of knew this.   My weight scale has a hydration/fat% function that told me that I was running a quart or three low.  Once I got it on paper and saw that I was only putting 2-3 glasses of plain old water into me on a daily basis I had an "ah-ha" moment.  It was an eye opener.  I bet many of you are not drinking enough water as well.

Secondly, to recover faster, she recommends leafy green vegetables at nearly every meal.  Even though I go through at least 2 pounds of fruit and vegetables a day, she recommends eating more greens and eating them nearly constantly.  Even breakfast I asked?   Even breakfast she said!  Hmmmm.  I got that advice on Friday and have not been able to get myself to eat salad for breakfast.  There is something aesthetically wrong about lettuce in my cereal bowl.

Thirdly, even though I am eating a lot of legumes, almond butter and Clif Builder Protein Bars, I am still not getting enough protein.  She recommended Rice Protein or other Vegetable protein shakes to get more protein into my diet.  This protein shortage is not necessarily because I am not putting meat into my diet....it more about the fact that when you do 100-130 miles a week of running, your body just needs more.   I would bet that many of you are also not getting enough protein in.  I have been consciously putting down at least 40G or more in Clif Builders into me a day...and I am still not getting enough for her liking.

So, I will modify my menu and see if I can get even more out of my work outs due to better nutrition!

Ed

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I'm off to get a glass of water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having a spinach shake in the morning with added almond butter. Will let you know how it is!

    ReplyDelete