Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Is it possible to bonk at your desk at work?

From Wikipedia...

To.. "bonk describes a condition caused by the depletion of glycogen stores in the liver and muscles, which manifests itself by precipitous fatigue and loss of energy. Milder instances can be remedied by brief rest and the ingestion of food or drinks containing carbohydrates. The condition can usually be avoided by ensuring that glycogen levels are high when the exercise begins, maintaining glycogen levels during exercise by eating or drinking carbohydrate-rich substances, or by reducing exercise intensity."

In other words...a life draining monster!   (Notice the multiple references to the word "exercise"!)




Is it possible to bonk at your desk?  At work?  At 4:00 in the afternoon?  With no exercise involved?

Yesterday, I found out that it is quite possible.   How did I find out? 

Well...a little science first.   Your body can store about 1,600-1,700 calories of burnable carbs before it starts to eat fat (ketosis).  Once the fat eating process starts, you start to feel sluggish.  Do it long enough and you end up bonking.  Most endurance athletes have experienced it when running marathons or cycling long distances.  Your body can only absorb about 300-400 calories an hour...don't replace what you burn and you bonk! 

Bonking at my desk at work?  Yup.  How?

I forgot my bag of food for the day.  In the last 4 days, I had run 3 marathons and 12 miles (about 16,000 calories worth in 4 days worth of burn).   Evidently, I was on the razor's edge of my dietary needs and had not replaced the 16,000 I burned appropriately.   3:30 p.m. yesterday, I felt hungry.....by 4:00 p.m. I was wobbling like an Ironman crossing the finish line....AT WORK!  Not running!  Yikes!  

That will teach me to forget my food.

Training is going great by the way....

This was me this morning on my 12 mile run session 1 of the day...feet so fast I burned up a pair of Newton's reentering orbit!



55 Days to Go!!!!
 
E

No comments:

Post a Comment